Monday, August 12, 2002

“Who knows if, thus, we are not preparing ourselves to escape someday the principle of identity.”
Breton

RandomMan, I apologize for being too abstract. And JC, abstraction is perhaps the most organic. I do try to name the unnamable. That’s my nature. I seek the point to view without reiterating what these politicians are saying. It’s redundant redundant. I’m just here to occasionally stoke the fire, add some insight to the bleakness of the way the world wants me to believe it is. I’m an optimist. And at the risk of absurdity, I’d say look at the news today. All of the narrowing viewpoints, all with a cause underneath, skim the surface and still find no substance. For the ship is all but sunk. As for the foreign properties the ol’ US had a hand in obtaining. That’s just bad business. I like our foreign policy just as much as I like the foreign policy of any nation that contributes to genocide or terrorism. The far right is just as scary as the far left. (the same point on a circle) They both make their points well and back them up with documented (fact). The problem lies in that, which one is the more correct. I mean take a look at how two sides of the Halliburton thing are being dictated. Ann Coulter points out that Cheney’s sale of stocks was before his vice presidency of the company so as to not have a conflict of interest and then look at the left’s view about the situation, where Cheney is dumping stock just before the asbestos claims. I mean come on lets just step back and look at the ethics of that industry all together. Halliburton makes money even if oil is not found. And should anyone trust them? But then again that’s just business. I could quote a billion things here to back up either side. I choose not to turn into a media outlet for you, and instead just try and figure out what’s going on in the world and contribute to the dialogue. Now that Cheney is in a new company I start to fear a bit. I mean all this power keeps swaying and narrowing toward him and I could conspiracize his immanent control of the world or I could think hey at least we won’t get blown up under his watch.

What it comes down to is what do we actually believe in, not what we can find out. I will probably not be as detailed as the rest of you, yet I will try to take what I get from my mass consumption of news and kind of spit out how I process it. I tend to go with the anarchist notion to not vote for anybody I don’t personally know. Yet look how far that’s gotten me. Actually it has worked well on a grass-roots level. And that is the world I live in. I’m not relinquishing my rights to those nuts in charge, I’m just saying they better stay the fuck out of my life. My life consists of the world around me and it would be naïve of me to say my national vote doesn’t count, but has it ever. I vote where I can make a difference. And I don’t want to hear things like voting for Nader is like stealing votes from Gore. That’s what you’re supposed to do. I see that the last election showed us two points of view aren’t enough and maybe it’s time we heard from some more. Again I am an optimist and I feel like the election in 2004 will have a high turnout. But what are my choices? Two I don’t believe in. And I have to vote tonight to decide if we should charge the people in my building if they do not recycle.

But let’s cut to the chase here. I’m an artist and I’m concerned with making my art and writing my books. What is art to me? Real art is play, & play is one of the most immediate of all experiences. Those who have cultivated the pleasure of play cannot be expected to give it up simply to make a political point (as in an ``Art Strike, '' or ``the suppression without the realization'' of art, etc.). Art will go on, in somewhat the same sense that breathing, eating, or fucking will go on.

That said I like this place JC and I like being here.
Thanks,
Derek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.